The New Forest Economy-
Biobased Power, Products, & Fuels
Thank you to everyone for attending!
Presentations are available below, in blue.
Photos are up on our Facebook Page.
"Agreement signed to build greenhouses near biomass plant," Tux Turkel, Portland Press Herald
"As paper mills die, here's how Maine's loggers hope to survive," Darren Fishell, Bangor Daily News
We would love to hear from you- feel free to share
your feedback in this survey!
What does the future of Maine's forest economy look like?
Federal and State leaders are now engaged in multiple activities to transform the forest products industry.
E2Tech and GrowSmart Maine are bringing together key players in Maine's biomass/biofuels, bioproducts, and community development worlds to discuss both the policy and the economic development challenges and opportunities in Maine's new forest economy. What are our forests producing now and how does that connect with regulation and demand in the state, regional, and larger energy and economic systems? What is needed to move this sector forward in an economic and environmentally sustainable way?
7:30 a.m. - Networking Breakfast
8:15- 10:00 a.m. - The New Forest Economy: Biobased Power, Products, & Fuels
- Yellow Light Breen- President & CEO, Maine Development Foundation (presentation shared with Patrick Strauch)
- Sarah Curran- Program Director, Maine Forest Economy (moderator)
- Eric Kingsley- Vice President, Innovative Natural Resource Solutions
- Charlotte Mace - Executive Director, Biobased Maine
- Patrick Strauch- Executive Director, Maine Forest Products Council (presentation shared with Yellow Light Breen)
10:00- 10:15 a.m. Break
10:15 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. Three Facilitated Breakout Sessions
1. Community Development in the New Forest Economy
- Tom Abello- Director of External Affairs, The Nature Conservancy (presentation shared with Theresa Kerchner)
- Nancy Smith- Executive Director, GrowSmart Maine (moderator)
- Theresa Kerchner- Local Wood WORKS, a program of Kennebec Land Trust (presentation shared with Tom Abello)
- Mike Wilson- Senior Program Director, The Northern Forest Center
- Ted Wright- Executive Director of the Trust to Conserve Northeast Forestlands and the Northeast Master Logger Program
2. Emerging Biobased Products in the New Forest Economy
- Lee Burnett - Project Director, Forest Works! (moderator)
- Donna Cassese - Managing Director, Wood Resource Strategy, Sappi North America
- Philip M. Pastore - President, GlobEcoMaine
- Nadir Yildirim, Ph.D. - Co-founder & CEO, Revolution Research Inc.
3. Sustainable Biomass Energy in the New Forest Economy
- Dana Doran - Executive Director, Professional Logging Contractors of Maine (moderator)
- Maura Adams- Program Director, Northern Forest Center
- William J. Harrington - Vice President & Director, Stored Solar, LLC
- William Strauss, Ph.D. - President & Founder, FutureMetrics, LLC
NEW FOREST ECONOMY SPONSOR
Sustainable Biomass Energy Sponsor
This Event is Using Green Power Courtesy
of the Maine Green Power Program!